Tuesday, August 30, 2005

What's It All About? Knitting of Course.....

OK, so I think for now I'm going to let it all be about knitting. That's what I do with most of my non-working hours lately, anyway. So then, I can dispense with the silly sub-titles about knitting content, and reading content, etc. ad nauseum. Mostly I just want to get into the habit of regular blogging, so if knitting is what it has to be about, so be it.

I just learned that a friend from the left coast is starting up a blog, so maybe this could be the impetus I need to get myself into gear. Here's hoping, anyway. We can check up on each other's progress, and know that at least each of us has one reader. And I'm also thinking of getting a basic digital camera to use with the blog, since it really is boring to read someone's blog without pictures. Hey, I'm the one who can't even figure out how to get the DVD/VCR combo to work properly, and I'm gonna try a digital camera!!!

So, as if I didn't have enough UFOs, last week I just had to start a shawl. I'm knitting the Seascape Shawl, in a sage green Zephyr. Never having used lace weight yarn before, I had a hard time getting it started. The needle I got gauge on (US6) just seemed so big for the yarn. But it's an open, airy design, therefore the (relatively) big needles. The provisional crochet cast-on was impossible (for me) using the larger needles, so I used some really tiny dp's and it worked out fine. Now that I've progressed in the pattern, I see that the little rectangle starting point is much too small for the overall shawl, but I'm ignoring that fact and not telling anyone I used a needle much too small to get it. I figure it should block out in the end. And if it still looks wonky, then I'll just call it a design element and chalk it up to a learning experience.

The rows are gradually getting so long that it takes me some time to finish one row. I'm only up to row 60 (Chart 1, part C), but already quite a lot of stitches. And I'm getting impatient; I'm a very instant-gratification-type person. What else would I think of but starting another project! I actually took out a skein of alpaca I got from KnitPicks, and seriously considered starting a scarf, since that could(might) be finished quickly. The only thing that stopped me was that the hank wasn't properly wound into a ball yet. I know I would have started that sucker otherwise. So I brought the hank to work today to ask my knitting buddy to wind it up for me. She will oblige, she's just as compulsive as I am when it comes to knitting. Already my mind goes to the scarf pattern, imagining it growing under my fingers.

I work at a large law firm, assistant to a few attorneys. Today I have literally nothing to do, since two summer associates left the firm to go back to school, and my one permanent associate is on vacation. You might think it's nice to have nothing to do, but you might be wrong. We still have to look like we're working, I mean there still is job security to worry about. Do you know how stressful that is, trying to look busy? Right now I could just take a nap. Reading blogs makes some of the time pass, but I can only read so many. I'm thinking of reading my novel, hoping I don't get caught by the supervisor. If only I could knit!!

No comments: