Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Untitled Tuesday

Today is just keeping up with the blog day. For practice. Or whatever. Since I still haven't figured out how to get the knitting pictures up on the blog.

Anyway, my holiday knitting is hitting an unexpected snag. My dear Hubby had a shift change on his job, so he's around in the evening instead of sleeping.

You know how the saying goes: be careful what you ask for. I haven't liked him working the night shift, because I hate that I'm alone all night. He was working 11:00 pm to 7:30 am, so of course he slept from dinner time until getting up to go to work. Now they have him working 6:00 am to whenever, so he's up in the evening.

In addition to putting a cramp in my TV watching style (let's not even go there), it's affecting my knitting. The gray sweater I'm making for him is supposed to be a secret Christmas gift, so now I have to knit on other things while he's awake. I know I'll finish it in time, after all there are still 2 months and I'm already on the sleeves. It's just that I'd hoped to get it done sooner rather than later.

So now, I'm only knitting his sweater lunchtimes at work or in the evening when he goes to bed, since he always goes in earlier than I do. Thank the Gods it's a fast knit, since it's bulky weight on US9 needles. Also, the yarn (Dale Falk)is great to work with. I'm coming quickly up to the raglan shaping of the sleeves, which is fun. The pattern has a cabled raglan shaping. Kinda cool.

Well, let's look on the bright side: at least a few more UFO's will get finished. I mean, I finished the socks and the baby poncho. And now I'm working on a red cotton tank to go under a sweater I finished a few months ago. And working a little on a plum colored shawl started several months ago. I'm not even going to explain yet what the rest of the UFO's are.

My objective is to get a lot of what I have OTN off. It's so hard to control myself every time I see a new yarn or pattern I like. I do have to admit to a couple of small yarn purchases, but at least I haven't started a new pattern of any kind. I'm patting myself on the back for that. My friend V here at work is also (obsessed) a knitter, and we try to support each other in not purchasing or starting. But every now and then we both give in to the compulsion. I mean, the other day we both ordered sock yarn from Elann. Not an expensive expenditure, but tell me, why did we need more sock yarn??!!!

No comments: