Sunday, December 04, 2005

More Pictures!






I have to admit that this picture posting thing is a lot easier than I thought it would be. Although I still need to learn a lot about how to arrange things.

Knitting

Anyway, here are a couple of close-ups of the moebius lace. (The pattern name is "Soft Cables Mobius", a Heartstrings pattern I got from Elann.) The second picture reflects the true color. You can sort of see there, the cably-looking pattern. This was one of my quicker knits. I made a commitment to myself to see it thru to the end. Tonight I will weave the ends together and it will truly become a moebius.

I've found that a lot of people really don't know what a moebius is. There was a good article reprinted by Vogue, originally in the Holiday '87 issue of Vogue Knitting. It would take too long to quote the whole thing, but basically it's a straight strip of (whatever) material, with one end twisted by 180 degrees and sewn (attached) together to make a ring that, if you run a finger along one edge, appears to never come to an end. It was the discovery of an 18th century German matematician, August Ferdinand Moebius. Supposedly a theory of the universe, etc. It's kind of cool to try; once it's attached, it really seems there is only one edge.

OK, that's my lesson for the day. I really just posted today to see if I could show better images of the lace. Still not perfect, but I'm getting there. Hey - I did post pictures, right??

Today New York City got its first coating of snow. Now we have to admit Winter is finally here, even if the calendar says it's a couple more weeks away. And we're supposed to get a little more snow tomorrow.

Reading

I finally just finished the last book of the Gunslinger/Dark Tower series by Stephen King. It was a bittersweet experience; I've been following these characters for years. It has a twist at the end that I guess I should have expected, but I truly did not get it until the very end. Very Hitchcockian. And SK resolved some things that I would have been sad to have left unresolved. Thanks, Steve. I can't say more than that, just in case I actually do have 'a' reader, and perhaps that reader hasn't read this and wants to.

In a way, I'm kind of relieved to be finished with this book. It's a big one. And I've been carrying around big books for the past year. I'm looking forward to something smaller and lighter.

So now I'm off to contemplate my Christmas shopping. HoHoHO!

No comments: