Monday, June 19, 2006

Sharing a Little More of My Projects

First of all, I hope you all had a great day keeping the Fathers in your life happy. As for me, Hubbo & I spent 3 hours Sunday assembling the new gas grill I bought him for Fathers Day. It was a hot & sticky job, but the barbecue afterwards was good. And he's happy with it, which is the whole point.

I took some more pictures of a couple of the projects I've been working on. I keep trying to do a little bit on each of a few projects so maybe one day soon I'll have some finished stuff.

First, here's what's completed so far on the lilac tank top I've been working on. My pictures always look so dark once I transfer them to the blog, but this is really a very light lilac ribbon yarn. The content is acrylic, but it feels like cotton. I should have taken a picture of the pattern, so you could compare, see what the finished item should be. (to come)

This (dark) picture should show better the ribbon effect on the edge of the tank. It's really very cool. It's accomplished by slipping 3 stitches with the yarn in the purl position, and then purling the next 2 stitches, across. This is the back of the tank, so this stitch is just on the bottom edge & at the armhole shaping. The front of the tank has a lot of this stitch all across the lower half, until the neck shaping.

This is practically flying off my needles, because the pattern stitch is interesting. And I couldn't have picked a better yarn. The ribbon shows up the stitch, which I don't see how a regular yarn could do.

Next up, a Lacey Romper, which I'm knitting for whatever little somebody comes along. I think it's a 6 month size, and the yarn is Wendy DK, in a bright turquoise.

First, here's a photo of the Romper, so it's more clear what the heck it's supposed to be. I'm not sure if you can see the crossed-stitch bodice clearly, which is really a sort of double cabled stitch. It's pretty easy and fun to do. The most time consuming part of this romper was the bubbly body part, because it's all in one piece and ended up being a whole heck of a lot of stitches.

Here's a pic of the front, with the second back piece almost finished & the front stitches on a holder. This is a little bluer than actual, but the color is very close. Can you see the pretty gull wing lacey pattern? This held my interest for a couple of months, then I laid it aside for a few months. Just the other day it caught my eye, and I said, 'why am I not finishing this?'

This picture is one of the leg edges. See the lighter aqua color bands? The color contrast is pretty IRL, but I'm not too sure if I'll keep it. The lighter yarn I used seems to be a lighter weight, even though it was labelled DK.

The thing is, the leg edge feels a little tight, and not stretchy at all. Not a good thing for little chubby baby legs. The romper will have buttons or something at the crotch, but I think the leg is tight enough that the bottom button would have to stay open. I will have to re-think this one.

The sleeves are supposed to have the same 2-color effect at the edge, but I'm considering making it plain, to see if I can get a more stretchy edge. If that works, I can always undo the leg edges and knit down. If that doesn't work, I'll have to re-think something else.

So, all in all, I think I'm beginning to accomplish some finishing stuff. But remember how I said a couple of days ago that I felt a new project coming on? Today I ordered some new needles I would need to start that baby.

No comments: