Friday, June 23, 2006

Yarn with Glitches

No pics today of anything.

I'm still waiting for my new needles to arrive. The ones I ordered so I can start a new project? So just in case the needles come today, I brought a skein of the yarn to work with me.

I'm going to attempt this project (which will remain nameless for the time being) with Knit Picks Shine (60% Pima Cotton, 40% Modal) in the color Cream. It has a nice soft feel, and this lacy short cardi (oops!) should feel nice in this yarn.

But as I looked at this skein of yarn, I noticed a large slubby spot that shouldn't be there. I hate when brand-new-unused-yarn has glitches like knots & slubs. It just doesn't seem fair. So I decided I'd better remove it.

This particular slub looked like it was very near the end of the skein, so my thought was I'd pull the skein to there and cut it. But after I started pulling, I realized it was just a little too long to discard. I unwound and wrapped a ball about 1-1/2 inches in diameter.

I surely have to cut this slub out, it's way too big and noticeable. But I don't see any way I can just tie a knot in this yarn. Cotton isn't very forgiving, and the knot would most probably migrate. So I guess I will have to cut anyway, and just keep this little ball aside for emergency use. Maybe for seaming?

I am always disappointed when new yarn has this kind of glitch. But then again, the yarn is rather inexpensive, so I guess in that case you just have to suck in in and accept.

Hey - I've even had knots in very expensive yarn too.

Have a great weekend!

No comments: