Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Everyone's Doin' It

I just had to share this one:

Which Finger Are You?

You Are the Middle Finger
A bit fragile and dependent on your friends, you're not nearly as hostile as you seem.You are balanced, easy to get along with, and quite serious.However, you can get angry and fed up with those around you. And you aren't afraid to show it!
You get along well with: The Index Finger
Stay away from: The Pinky


I had no idea I would be the middle finger, but hey, I guess someone's gotta be it.

Knitting:

Believe it or not, I have managed to take a picture of the socks I completed a couple of weeks ago. But did I load it to the computer? Nooooo. so I'm still pictureless.

Other News:

Well it's not news to me any more, but I haven't posted about it. And it's one of the reasons I haven't posted much, because I've been spending my time learning about it.

A few months ago I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease, formerly known as Celiac Sprue. For those of you who never heard of it, it's not life threatening - unless you don't change your eating habits, then eventually you could get stomach cancer.

I'm not allowed to eat anything with gluten in it, which turns out to be a whole *&@$load of stuff. Gluten is a protien mostly found in wheat, barley, rye and oats. So breads and pastas are out, cakes and cookies, most cereals, and anything containing flour.

But you would be surprised what products contain gluten. Even soy sauce is made with a wheat product containing gluten. Malt has gluten, candies have gluten - it's the sticky binding material that makes it keep its shape.

Try shopping and reading all the labels and see how many things you can find that don't contain these products. (An aside: the product that made all those pet foods unsafe was gluten imported from Asia or somewhere that doesn't have th strict controls on their food products that the US has.)

But aside from trying to buy food that's safe for me, I really have tried to fit in some knitting time now and then. Not much though, since I've been pretty distracted.

Anyone reading this who may also have this disease, and has learned how to deal with it, I'd really love some hope and suggestions about how to do it better.

Thanks.

No comments: